Translate

Saturday, March 8, 2014

This is my kind of day

This is what I call a wonderful Florida March day. It's bright and sunny and no humidity due to the rain and cold that settled in here for the past couple of days. It's nothing short of majestic today. When we went out for golf this morning it was 7C and when we were on our way home it was 18C. Not sure what it is right now but in the sun it's gorgeous. Mike is out beside the pool having a little snooze and I thought I had better get something together before I start the rest of my day. I ran to Publix on the way home to get a few essentials and the weekend paper with all of the coupons. That's an hour's read, just to sort through what you want to peruse and what you are satisfied to let go to the recycling.

It rained on Thursday but into every vacation a little rain must fall. We did a bit of shopping and called it a day. Not a problem. Mike is really enjoying this vacation and he is vacationing more than me. I am trying to do a few things and work on a stitching project but the light in this house is not good unless you are right by the patio door so I work outside, which is not bad either.

Yesterday we went to the Strawberry Festival. Well that was a looker. Every sort of humanity good and bad was there. I told Mike if I was too old and worn out to be up on my feet, not to take me to the strawberry festival or out in public for that matter. The SF is like a huge fall fair, with strawberries. There are food vendors by the dozens. It looked like dozens of dozens. Every food known to man was deep fried. It took me over an hour at home to get the smell of the friers out my nostrils. I am not kidding. The strawberry shortcake was delicious and although I passed up on it, there was chocolate coated bacon! Maybe will try it myself sometime but just couldn't do it yesterday. There was a building dedicated to handcrafts and although there was some lovely quilting, there weren't many. It wasn't like a quilt show but some pretty quilts nonetheless. I believe Wilma was at a show in Bradenton but I wasn't talking to her today. I may have mentioned that she is coming over on Monday. We got home and had a little rest and then went to the Pictou County party at the Hensbees. I had never met Lois before but Mike knew her husband. There were lots of people there and we hung in till quite late. Nice get together. We ought to have it here before we leave.

Speaking of which, I think we will leave here on the 27th which will get us to O'Fallon on the 29th, a Friday. That way Chris will be home for the weekend and we will get to spend some time with him and then we will probably leave after about five days. Depending on weather and all that. At least we have an exit strategy at this point.

Daylight saving time this weekend. Who knew?! It seems early to me but it's been on the tv news and on Information Morning so I guess it's for real. Who am I to argue!?

We did a bit of outlet shopping this morning but I think I am done with the outlets. You always feel you are settling for what's on sale and not making an informed choice as to what you need or would choose if there were more of a selection. I will do some more serious selecting next week. Tomorrow morning we will go to Mass at Celebration and go to their Sunday morning market, which is really delightful, complete with classical music. The setting is very beautiful there, around a lake and just so serene. We love that market.

It's a week today since we arrived. I am in the process of finding a new house for next year. This one is booked till the middle of March and, my fault, that leaves us looking. I did book it for 2016 which is a very long time away but at least we will be back in this house that we like very much. I have spoken for a house around the corner but would like to see it; maybe next weekend we will be able to get in for a peek. In the meantime we have put it in the system, as they say, and will meet with the agent early in the week. I was dreading the thought of searching for another location when this one suits us so well. The house looks fine on the listing and till we an get in, we will say we have a place. The person we will be renting from had about a dozen homes in the general area, four at least on Reserve Drive. We want three bedrooms but would take four if that's what it came down to. The price point seems the same on the properties, regardless of bedroom number. Details details. Pretty dull but necessary.

There are a lot of retired teachers here, most of whom I don't know as they are elementary teachers and worked in schools I avoided like the plague.

Groceries here are staggeringly expensive. At one time it was fun to shop in the US where the prices were so good but in the past few years, they have crept up. Now I must admit that we are shopping at Publix which is the Central Florida version of Sobeys or SuperStore. You are getting the things that look the best and are top quality but then who of us are looking for bad quality food?!

That's about it for now. Wish I could see some of the Brier. Just can't manage to stream it live. Not watching much tv anyway, other than having CNN or the food network on as background. I rely on Information Morning when I get up and Mainstreet in the late afternoon. Mealtime entertainment. Have to look into WeightWatchers for when I get home!! I know I have put on weight already and there are still several weeks to go before I head home. Relatively inactive, that's the problem. Vacation. Gotta love it.

HOpe your day is going great. Hope you remember to spring forward, except for you Saskatchewan readers, and so still be on time for your Sunday morning activities. Thanks for stopping by; I'll be back after the Celebration market visit!!



No comments:

Post a Comment