Translate

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

Well there's more snow here at the ranch than at any other place we drew breath during the past four days. And more here than anywhere else in NS. I don't know if the people here are offending the weather gods or what, but I hope it stops now.

We got home at five thirty last night, after twelve hours and a bit on the road, not counting the time adjustment.  It was an easy day really. We departed the Hampton Inn in Portsmouth at the regular departure time of 5am and headed north.

Stopped for breakfast in Bangor and did the shopping I leave till that destination and back on the road in a bit more than an hour. I always buy the following at Hannafords: poblano peppers (can't get them here and rarely at Pete's. I love them. They have a warm taste and have a fuller round flavor than green peppers. Bought eight; will roast them today and skin them and then freeze them in small amts till I need them in egg or chicken dishes, when you can actually taste them. Yummy!! I may save one or two and stuff them tomorrow.); rotel tomatoes (if you have eaten them I need not say more. If you haven't, you have to buy them in the US or the odd store in the east. Judy Briand brings home a case of them every year.); Bush's beans (see previous comment), certain spices in grinding bottles that you can't get here; Betty Crocker pound cake mix  (ditto on availability); good tuna in LARGE cans (ditto); tomato paste in a TUBE which you may be able to find but I cannot; and often assorted other things that we can't find here.It used to be that I would bring back quantities of Key Lime Pie yoghrt by Breyers but you can find that now and then in the local store. I have become a convert to Liberte lemon yogurt which (as you know) is full fat but so good it's a treat now and then so the KLP variety has fallen out of favor with me. Anyway did the shopping at Hannafords and off we went. Stopped at Houlton to do a bit of shopping at Mardens. Mardens...need I say more? FAbric, usually but not in Houlton although I did find some extra wide backing for Carol. Then the border.

Well I was almost disappointed that we weren't searched, except for the time factor. I had every receipt known to man all balled up and ready to flash. Not a problem; typical questions and my driver got them all right. That's a grab bag...occasionally his brain turns to mashed potatoes when the critical questions of Where do you live? or How long have you been in the US? are posed to him. I make him practice now, on the way to the booth. He loves that!!! Hysterically funny...How much do you have to declare?...I prefer to round it to a hundred but he came up with an ending of $...25.00 which is so funny because it's almost impossible to accurately answer that question, with or without receipts. Anyway the lady wished us a good day and we were off once again.

The Tim Hortons tea I had in Oromocto didn't taste as good as the cup I had WITH TEA BISCUITS AND OAT CAKES that I found on the table when we got home. Thanks to JoLynn the treats were there, with fresh milk and bread. The little welcome wagon herself had been there!!! THANKS again JoLynn!!! The kitten seemed happy to have us back and has been quite close by since. He's outside with the neighbourhood white cat which only goes to proove that you can pick your friends but you cannot pick your cat's friends.

At church this morning Father Peter said to MIke...It's Easter Mike, not Christmas! I should have gone back and retrieved the Easter goodie bag I brought to him! Next time I see him I may have to have a word.

So I am starting to unpack We both slept well last night but may need another night to really unwind. I was pretty wound up when we got home and feel better overall today. Three days on the road, twelve hours a day, eleven hundred plus km each day.... Day one was good; I was a bit cranky on day two (I admitted to that before my driver indicated such) and then day three I was fine again. It's sad to leave but once you are on the road, you can't wait to get home. We'd forgotten how comfortable our bed was. I hate to put on long pants again but it's a bit chilly today. Will be out for a walk tomorrow and may do one more summary post in a day or so, more for my own reference. For example, a note to myself not to bring so many clothes next year. What Was I Thinking!!??

Beautiful day. Did I say that? It really bears repeating. Out for a walk in the morning; can't wait, and I'll be back!! Happy EAster Day!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Home! Glad your return went smoothly. No place like home.

    I'm enjoying the end of a lovely Easter Day with two of my littles. We've had a great day at the pool; ham dinner; kids to bed and key lime pie yet to come.

    ReplyDelete