Translate

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Laughter is the best medicine

We have laughed more this past month than any other time in our lives. The Doreys left this morning and we were laughing as they went out the door. We played bridge every night but one during our stay here, as we had intended. Actually we never thought we would play EVERY  night but that's how it ended, except for that one night we were just too tired. The over all champ was Mike, followed closely by Norma; then Terry and finally me. The scores were close: Mike surpassed Norma by 90 points; Terry by 200 and 1800 separates top from bottom. That on a total of 70 000 points. For non bridge players, that's close. I thought it would be even closer. I started out with a couple of great nights and was in the lead during the first week and then I could hear footsteps coming behind me and little by little, the others crept up as my cards continued to be DREADFUL. We played golf four times together; Norma and Terry played an additional 2 rounds and Mike and Terry were out one day. They were very happy with how their trip went. You can't spend a month with just anyone but this worked out like peaches and cream; like peas and carrots; like apple pie and ice cream. They were ready to go home today; they have two dogs they miss very much.

So today I am going to sort. There are food items and some booze that has to go to Chris's. I have kept things pretty close together so everything I bought except for the leCreuset casserole is in my sewing machine case. I have all of my receipts clipped together so there will be no issue at the border. We didn't reach our exemption anyway. Mike didn't buy anything except two shirts that he needed. He didn't pack well and ended up buying a couple of shirts to fill the gaps.  Also today I am going to make the car lunch which consists of sandwiches to hold us together on the first day of the drive. We have lots of water and I need to add some fruit. I would like the cooler to be empty when we get to Maine so I can add a turkey for the last lap.

It's 6:30am. The Doreys are gone; we got up an hour ago as they were getting ready to leave.  Mike is asleep on the couch. I didn't sleep well and it's not in my nature to go back to bed. Time to get started. A trip to JC Penny this morning to get a couple of towels to wrap around a gigantic hurricane vase Chris and Laura give me in which to grow the paperwhites I love in the winter. I wanted a straight tall vase that the flowers would grow in, completely contained. No more toppled over paperwhites!!! That should be it. I have to leave room in the car for the Maine shopping which will fill in a couple of gaps, and then we're done, folks. A few posts on the road and the summary/reflections once I am unpacked. Hang in; we're almost there!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying hearing it all. Vicarious golf and bridge! The family visiting I, too, am enjoying.

    ReplyDelete