Translate

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Friday in Davenport

Well here we are in the nest. Last night we stayed in a nice spot just above the Georgia state line and we had a great drive into the Sunshine State during the morning.  Since we were here so early, we zipped over here to check out the digs and unloaded the car. In the process we met the neighbours who are Canadians and they are very friendly Ontarians. Hope to see them during our stay.  Decided then to get into the family zone and checked in on Chris at work. At the end of his work day we picked him up  and headed to 4910 to visit with him and Laura and those two adorable grand girls. It's amazing the difference six months makes in a little child. Jocelyn talks to me as though I were there everyday rather than the fact that she hasn't seen me in six months. That's what Skype does for the grandparent-grandchild relationship. I can't believe it. I could write and write about her but if you have a grand child you understand and if you don't have one, you may not completely understand. And Bhreagh....so cute. Just a little bundle of happiness.

So we are waiting here for the Doreys to arrive. They will be surprised to see us as we didn't think we would be here till this time tomorrow night. We stopped at Publix and got the essentials for breakfast tomorrow and after another inventory as we were stowing the goods, discovered there is no soap...the face-washing kind. I hope they were clean about themselves today. I have liquid shower soap which I will offer them but other than that, the serious washingth won't take place till tomorrow when we get to shop again. I also need a tea pot and larger mugs. I had full intentions to bring a pot with me and actually had it on the dining room table to bring along but it got left behind, with my computer glasses. That is worse than no tea pot. I can replace the latter but not the glasses.

Mike bought a new laptop, which means he replaced that stolen lap top of the past, and this is the first time I have used it. The verdict is a resounding NO on this one. Who would think the keyboard could be just that much smaller and the ENTER and SHIFT keys that much tinier. I am making dozens of mistakes and it's rather irritating to be correcting over and over. If you detect a typo, just imagine what the word should be. I may miss the odd error.

Tomorrow morning we will also scope out the complex. I want to see the pool and the clubhouse and see how they measure up to the photos that I saw online. I heard the pool isn't heated and that may or may not be a problem. I didn't use the HEATED pool last year but thought I would give it a go this time around. Will check it out tomorrow and see what I think. It's about a mile walk to the drugstore which would make for a good jaunt in the mornings for the paper. I see there are a few new outlets/stores/restaurants in the little strip where the Publix is located. What I am really looking for are the Joann's coupons that come in the paper on the weekends. I have a short list for shopping but one of the items I want would benefit from a coupon...that is to say it would cut it in half.

So here we are. Mike is asleep on the couch with a book in his hand. I am finishing a cup of tea (brought a box of King Cole with me). Only the location is changed! and the temperature. It's about 26 this evening. Lovely and warm. I looked like Nanook of the North when we stopped at the Visitor's Center at the Florida State line today. There were dozens and dozens of OLD PEOPLE there. I wonder if we looked as old as they did. I was really depressed. Men in shorts, bony bow legs; women in stretch pants and shirts tucked in.  Mike said we lowered the demographic but I am not sure.

Well if you made it through this, good on you. I am going to have a bath and settle in to see if I can stay awake till the Doreys arrive. We will certainly hear them come in. Hope they get here intact. It's not terribly easy to get yourself out of the Orlando airport and find your way to a previously unseen destination at midnight. More on that the next time

Thanks for stopping by!! I'll be back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment